Our School » HLES History

HLES History

Otto Albert Hoffmann was born in Comal County around Bracken in November 3, 1906. He attended school in Selma and Married Vera Ann Stratemann March 11, 1930. They lived in Selma where Otto worked as a mechanic.

A few years later, they moved to New Braunfels, where Otto worked as a mechanic at a motor company. In 1937, they purchased a ranch near what is called Hoffmann Lane. They raised cattle, goats, hogs and chickens. They had four children: Larry, Jeannette, Wayne and Stanley. All the children started school in Gruene at Thorne Hill.

When electricity came into the area, about 1946, Otto wired most of the homes from Fisher Store to Gruene. He enjoyed repairing radios, and later, TV’s. Otto also did mechanic work for most of the neighbors. Otto enjoyed deer hunting, bowling, cards and dancing. The road named Hoffmann Lane opened through to Hunter Road in 1949 due in part to the lobbying efforts of Otto.

Vera was active in the Garden Club, First Protestant Church and enjoyed sewing. She was also active in the PTA and was a Life Member for all her hard work. Otto served as President of the Board of Trustees for what was then called Goodwin Schools. He was also instrumental in the formation of the Comal County High School District in the early 1950’s. He was instrumental in the actual construction of the school.

Hoffmann Lane Elementary opened for the 2002-2003 school year. The school’s dedication was Sunday, Oct. 20, 2002. Mrs. Sylvia Glass was principal for Hoffmann Lane for the first school year. Mrs. Bonnie Patrick was principal from 2003-2007. Mrs. Janice Tubb came to Hoffmann Lane in 2007. She was principal at Comal Elementary School prior to coming to Hoffmann Lane.
 
The First Days of Hoffmann Lane Elementary
Remembering 9/11
 
A month after we opened we remembered the first anniversary of 9/11